Saturday, November 22, 2014

13 Things I've Learned While Living in 100 Sq. Feet

We've been here a total of thirteen days, and boy oh boy, have I learned a thing or two about living in a small space. I feel like I could comfortably meet an owner of one of those micro houses and have a heart to heart. I'd understand why they value their loft space above all else, and they'd nod knowingly when I laugh and say, "Why yes, I do choose my times in the bathroom very carefully." (Too much detail? Such is the reality of little space living!)

So for the fun of it, and because it's the perfect rainy Saturday morning to be wrapped up in a quilt blogging, here's a little list for ya. 

1. My kitchen sink is 1 sq. foot. Aka, be selective about the pan(s) and utensils I use to cook. 

During my childhood and high school years, I often cooked my family supper. They loved the meals, but my dad teased me mercilessly because I'd fill the sink to the brim with dirty dishes. He'd say, "Wow, Kel I see you used every single pot, pan, and dish we own. Good job!" (Sarcasm is his love language).  

The irony of me, Girl-Who-Uses-Many-Dishes, now cooking regularly in a pint sized kitchen is delicious. I think God gets a chuckle out of it. I love how he sets us up to always be improving upon our weaknesses. 

2. I don't need that many clothes. 

Prior to our departure to Texas, I spent a whole day going through my closet. I took my time sorting out what I'd need for the next six months based on season, weather, activities, and what I wear most often. I'm learning to embrace a more minimalist wardrobe. The challenge of fitting enough clothes for six months into two 16 inch wide closets and two plastic tubs was the perfect opportunity to get serious about reducing my closet. 

The two best resources I found are www.into-mind.com and www.un-fancy.com. Both blogs embrace a minimalist approach to wardrobe. While my style is much different from these ladies, their strategies for building a capsule wardrobe were SO helpful. 

3. Keep it clean, clean, clean. 

When living in a small space, every foot counts. The little things make a difference, aka keeping dishes washed and put away, clothes folded or hung, the bed made, rugs shook out, and floors swept. The good news is practicing what I preach is pretty simple. A small space = minimal time spent cleaning. It becomes part of the daily routine. 

4. Respect one another's space. 

While I live in a separate camper trailer from Dane, we usually cook together each night in his living quarters horse trailer. Some of my clothes are stored in tubs in his trailer too. Respecting one another's space has kept us smiling rather than frowning at one another because we both try to keep the space clean and usable for the other person. Thankfully, he's a really clean guy and keeps things in order just as much as I do.  

5. Nutri-Bullet is my best friend. George Foreman is a close second. 

These two appliances are used nearly every day. The Nutri-Bullet makes killer smoothies, nut butters, sauces, and dressings. Good ol' George Foreman grills burgers, salmon, chicken, and sausage like its going out of style. Both are self-contained making for easy and fast clean-up (which is climbing higher and higher on my priority list). 

6. We kill lots of trees. 

Sad to say, but we likely kill more trees than the normal U.S. citizen. Camper living gets along VERY nicely with paper plates, paper bowls, and paper towels. (See item #1). We use ceramic cups and stainless steel silverware, but paper goods can't be beat when it comes to keeping things clean and quick.                

7. It's possible to cook delicious, healthy food in a camper kitchen. 

I must admit, I was looking forward to this challenge long before we got to Texas. It's been an adjustment learning how to best use the space at hand, but once I cooked a couple meals the creative juices began to flow. It's much different than cooking in a large kitchen and requires a different mindset. Nonetheless, I'm having a ton of fun mastering it!

8. Showers are not long. Conserve water. There's not a limitless supply. 

9. Try not to leave the water heater on longer than necessary. Propane is expensive. 

10. Time your trips to the bathroom strategically.

When the other person is going to be gone for awhile, that's a good time to take care of business.

11. Work/life integration is the new norm. 

My work is very flexible, and I can do it from just about any location with internet. My work space is my living space and vice versa. Keeping the space clean and organized is conducive to better living AND better working. 

12. This lifestyle requires infinite amounts of flexibility. 

"Oh I was planning on taking a shower, but I'm out of water." No big deal. Go fill the tank and then shower. "Oh I wanted to work and then go ride horses with Dane." He comes to the door and says they're ready to rope right now. Ok, I'll do that and then work this evening. I'm learning to be quicker on my feet, more disciplined, and a better prioritizer. So far, the arrangement is working out famously.  

13. Less truly is more. Get rid of the excess. With simplicity comes freedom!    

The truth is, we love small space living! Just last night while at a rodeo in Ft. Worth, we marveled at what a cool lifestyle we get to live. Lots of travel, enjoying God's creation of horses and cattle, and constantly meeting new people. Dane and I are around one another all the time, and we get to take on new challenges as a team. Safe to say, it's a great match.               


                         

No comments:

Post a Comment